January 15, 2020

FLT/NCT: Robert Treman State Park to Stevenson Forest Preserve


I had extra time available today, as my Dad was picking Frankie up from school and bringing him home again later and staying for dinner.  I wanted to make the most of my extended time slot, so chose a hike both further away and longer than I had previously attempted for a school day solo venture.  I drove down to Robert Treman State Park, and parked at the upper lot.  There were no signs indicating where the FLT might be, and data coverage was very poor.  Conditions did not appear to match the map I had, but I found an orange-blazed trail where I expected the white-blazed Finger Lakes Trail (FLT) to be, and for lack of any better choices, decided to follow it.  I passed one white blaze amidst the orange, and took that as a good sign.

Soon enough, I came to a junction blazed white in both directions, with a marker commemorating the Civilian Conservation Corps, who had worked and camped in the area.  This was enough information for me to sort out my confusion...  Apparently the FLT had been re-routed, and the former route was now blazed orange as an access route (hence the one remnant white blaze that must have been missed in the re-painting effort).  I looked at my map again to determine which way I wanted to go, and set off, with renewed cheer at finally being where I meant to be. 

Woodard Road crossing



looking east (back) along the FLT from the Hines Road crossing

short roadwalk along Rockwell Road
bridge over the ditch where the trail leaves Rockwell Road


Porter Hill Road crossing
Rieman Woods bivouac site
returning to Porter Hill Road
at the turn onto Trumbull Corners Road
entering the Stevenson Forest Preserve from the east
reaching the parking area at the west end of the Stevenson Forest Preserve
Stevenson Forest Preserve Parking area on Trumbull Corners Road -- my turnaround point
hemlocks on the ridge in Stevenson Forest Preserve
headed back up the Porter Hill Road roadwalk





back on Rockwell Road -- the trail re-enters the woods across from the campground sign




Then, finally, back to the Civilian Conservation Corps monument and the junction with the orange-blazed access trail.  I enjoyed it a bit more on the way out, knowing where I was and that I actually managed to complete my planned hike after all.  This spur trail follows a creek and is very scenic; the cover image is from this section.  One particularly lovely spot looked like it would make a great swimming hole. 



MapMyRide tracked this hike at 11.5 miles with over 1,200 feet elevation gain.  Of that, 0.9 miles was out-and-back on the orange-blazed spur trail and 10.6 miles was on the FLT, which carries the North Country National Scenic Trail (NCT).  Despite my confusion that slowed me down at the beginning of the hike, and a blister that developed on my heel from wearing the wrong socks, I was pleased with my day and my hike.  I don't get double-digit hikes in too often, so they are worth celebrating!

No comments:

Post a Comment