August 4, 2020

Big Slide via Grace Camp

 

  Big Slide
4,240 feet  |  ranked 27/46 in height  |  8th peak climbed (repeat) 
 
I have been itching to get back to John's Brook Lodge (JBL) ever since Frankie and I enjoyed our first magical stay there in 2018.  Unfortunately, I waited too long to make reservations last year, and they are closed this year because of COVID.  However, my interest was piqued when a friend told me her family had just returned from a stay at one of the cabins associated with JBL; apparently JBL staff are providing meal options to guests of the camps.  Erwin is ever reluctant to stay anywhere without a shower, but I convinced him he could handle a couple nights in the back country, if there was no need to lug a tent, stove, bear can, etc.  I booked us two nights at Grace Camp, with two dinners and one lunch, arriving on a Monday afternoon to hopefully increase our odds of securing parking at the Garden.
 
Knowing that the shuttle is not running this summer, we had some anxiety about the parking situation, but we lucked into one of the last few empty spots and set off in good spirits.  The sun was shining, for now (not to last long), and everything was good.  I had Frankie carrying his hydration bladder, a sleeping bag, camp pillow, raincoat, and stuffed animal, with his water shoes and rain hat strapped on his pack.  He eventually complained that his pack was too heavy, so when we reached the benchmark around the halfway point, we took a break and I switched the water shoes over to my pack. 

When we reached John's Brook, we went down to enjoy a quick look at the water, then continued upstream.  I left the boys by the high water bridge over to the camps, and hiked up to JBL to check in.  I soon returned with the key, and we got settled in, then set out to explore the creek area a bit before dinner.  We went upstream on the camp side, passing a lean-to and another camp, then relaxed by the water at the high water bridge until we were due for dinner.



Dinner was brought to us at a picnic table outside JBL: pasta, chicken, veggies, and ice cream for dessert.  A veritable feast!  We were the only ones dining there; the other camp appeared to be empty.  Perhaps it wasn't booked on this Monday night, or perhaps the other guests canceled due to the impending storm.  Either way, this was social distancing at its finest.  After dinner, we returned to Grace Camp and played some cards before settling down and trying to get some sleep. 



As predicted, heavy rainfall settled in overnight: Tropical Storm Isaias has arrived, right on schedule.  We knew this storm was coming, not when we made reservations certainly, but before we left home.  I talked to the crew at JBL when I checked in, and they confirmed my hunch that we should table our original plan of climbing Lower Wolfjaw via the Bennie's Brook Slide.  I was afraid the entire slide would turn into a river, and wasn't crazy about the idea of that much exposure.  Big Slide was my Plan B, and the crew approved that option, so that's what we did.  

We only had two backpack rain covers, so I told Erwin I would carry his beverage.  This was a no brainer -- Frankie and I needed to be able to carry our packs because our hydration bladders were our water source, whereas Erwin was bringing bottles of Gatorade.  Erwin was thrilled to not have to carry a bag!  I emptied everything out of Frankie's pack except for the bladder; even with the pack covers, I knew everything would get wet.  [Note: buy pack covers that fit!  These are huge ones for backpacking bags and just swim around our day packs, especially Frankie's.]

We set off together, but after crossing the bridge, split up.  I sent Erwin and Frankie to start up Big Slide, while I headed off in the opposite direction to pick up our bagged lunches from JBL.  I caught up with them by the stream, and put Frankie in the lead, with me right behind him. 



I let Frankie set the pace all the way up, and we got far ahead of Erwin.  This wasn't ideal, given that I had his drinks, but he Erwin eventually regained enough ground to get into earshot and call for a break.  He was both hungry and thirsty, so we ended up eating our sandwiches, tuna for Erwin and I and hummus for Frankie.  I had been too hot ascending and removed my raincoat, but got chilly again once we stopped and had to put it back on.  It was not simply raining, but POURING, continually, all day.  I got very few photos.


The ladders have been replaced since Erwin and I last climbed Big Slide, and were a big hit.  Once they are ascended, the summit is not far beyond. 




We didn't stay very long, given the lack of views.  It felt pretty cold up there, even though it was a mild day, but the the wet wind made a big difference.  In the shelter of the trees, we hadn't felt remotely cold, but on the summit we sure did.  I had extra layers in the pack but it just didn't seem worth it to struggle into them in the pouring rain.

We made our way back down with no incidents and I stopped to have a quick rinse in John's Brook before retreating to Grace Camp, where we changed into dry clothes and enjoyed a few hours of rest and relaxation before dinner.  We knew eating outside wouldn't be an option tonight, and the crew staff had explained they would pack a tray for us to bring back to Grace Camp.  Erwin offered to go pick it up if I brought the dirty dishes back afterwards, so that's what we did.  The water levels in John's Brook had risen horrifyingly in the hours since we'd arrived back at camp and crossing the bridges was a bit scary.  I would have drowned instantaneously in the little pool I'd dipped in just a few hours before.  It was also awkward carrying a heavy tray over the rooty, flooded trails in torrential downpour, but we made it work.


In the morning, the storm had mostly passed and blue skies were smiling.  Unfortunately, none of our wet stuff had dried overnight, so when we packed up, the packs felt twice as heavy.  And squishing into wet boots never feels good.  But the Garden isn't far.  Once again, I sent Erwin and Frankie along without me, and hiked back to JBL alone to check out.  I was able to get Frankie a Big Slide patch, and catch up to them before the benchmark. 





And then it rained again and I took no more pictures.  Yesterday's rain was fully expected but this surprise shower was honestly a bit demoralizing.  We ran for a bit but that didn't work; we still got wet.  Grr. 

But the rain didn't spoil the experience for us... what an adventure we had!  I looked up the weather data when we got home and the closest station I could find, at Mount Van Hoevenburg, recorded almost 3 inches of rainfall on Tuesday.  Three inches is a lot any way you look at it, but most of the time in a storm like that, we are inside, not scrambling up steep slopes and slippery ladders.  Trust me when I say, three inches is a lot to have dumped on your head!  Definitely one for the books!  

The whole experience was exhilarating and I am walking away jubilant.  HOWEVER.  I still need to see the views from Big Slide, as the summit was socked in clouds last time I hiked it as well.  I have seen the pictures and have a sense of what I am missing.  I WILL be back someday to see those views for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment