August 16, 2021

Wright Peak

 
Wright
4,580 feet  |  ranked 16/46 in height  |  5th peak climbed (repeat)

Erin and I planned this trip entirely around the notion of enabling Frankie and Alden to camp and climb a High Peak together.  Both boys have previously camped and hiked 4,000-footers separately, but this would be their first big hike together.  I made reservations for the campground at Heart Lake, and nominated Wright as our target summit.  By camping at Heart Lake, we had automatic parking at the busy trailhead, and Wright is the shortest mileage hike among the High Peaks that neither kid had already climbed.  Alden was initially skeptical, since he'd been planning on Giant for his next 46er, but Erin had him look at his map, and he came around to the Wright plan pretty easily.

And the kids were surely stoked!  They played together very nicely in camp, and were generally happy lunatics together the entire time we were up north. The forecast had worsened in the days leading up to the trip, with the remnants of Tropical Storm Fred slated to dump rain on us, but we'd have one good weather day to hike, and that was all we needed. 



The kids took turns at point for most of the hike, declaring that it didn't matter which of them was leading, since it would count as a victory for "Team Boys" as long as either one of them was the first to any given way point.  Erin and I tried to dissuade any concept of racing, as the terrain is not suitable for rushing.  

We also explained that in the super steep sections requiring scrambling, we would need to alternate so us moms could spot the kids (although honestly, Frankie has largely outgrown that need).  I'd still *like* to spot him, but it's mostly me calling ahead for him to stop and wait for us.  I swear: my kid hikes faster when it's steep than on flat ground. 


I had him wait so I could take the picture above (and below).  Frankie did a lot of waiting for us while we were on the spur trail to Wright.  Erin was spotting Alden, who is very tall for 6, but still needs some spotting and guidance in certain places.  I was trying to thread the needle, keeping an eye on Frankie while not getting too far ahead of Erin and Alden. 


The next series of photos illustrates me looking variously either far ahead, to the speck of Frankie climbing and waiting, or behind, to check on Erin and Alden's progress.  Ahead, behind, ahead, behind.









Finally, I could see Frankie atop the actual summit, the high point of Wright Peak.  I held back here so that Alden could pass me and "beat" the moms to the summit.  The summit steward kindly offered to take a picture of all together, and then we followed her advice and clambered down to a ledge to enjoy the views and have our lunch out of the wind.









We spent a long time up top, although I swear time is warped at summits.  Until I checked the time stamps on my photos, I had no idea it was an hour and a half before we even went to look at the plaque for the plane crash (and even longer before we headed down).  I could sit up there all day. 






McIntyre Falls

We made it back to camp with plenty of time for a refreshing swim before dinner at the Hungry Hiker.  There might not be a ton of privacy camping at Heart Lake, but the amazing setting and conveniences more than make up for it.  We will definitely be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment