August 30, 2021

Kayaking Lake Everest

The weather forecast for today was 70% chance of rain with 10-15 mph winds and gusts up to 30 mph. The boys were skeptical about hiking in such conditions, so I proposed kayaking instead (me: "we'll paddle into the wind!").  Erwin declined but my little adventure buddy was game.  Hurray!

Our vacation rental is located on an impounded portion of the AuSable River called Lake Everest.  There is a dock for swimming and kayaks.  We also stayed here last summer -- because it's a such great spot -- and Frankie paddled a kayak by himself for the first time then.  This would be only his second time, and conditions obviously weren't ideal.  But I figured he's tough kid and he could handle it, and I could always tow him if absolutely necessary.  I wasn't about to stay indoors all day in the Adirondacks.

We set out into a strong headwind, which proved somewhat challenging for Frankie, especially in the wider parts of the channel.  We stuck to the edges and selected the narrower channels where the river splits.  Progress was slow but this was our adventure for the day, so there was no rush. 





After about a mile, I could tell Frankie was getting tired and I didn't want to ruin kayaking for him forever.  I also didn't want to turn back, so I did the only logical thing and hooked our kayaks together.  Now I had a massive weight jerking me backwards with every stroke.  We agreed I would tow him until the little island where we stop for a rest, then he would try paddling again on the way back.  This plan worked like charm: Frankie loved the free ride and I got to prolong our outing. 



We got to the little island and hopped out.  When I paddle this route solo, I don't bother taking a break, but it's a fun stop for Frankie.  Last year we swam here, but we didn't end up doing that this year.  Frankie was busy goofing around, trying to make the biggest splashes possible.  And then the rains came... and we might as well have been swimming!  We actually brought raincoats, but didn't put them on.  Kind of pointless in a deluge like this. 



The rain didn't last all that long.  We tried rather unsuccessfully to dump some of the water out of the kayaks, then paddled back.  We started seeing blue sky, and the sun even came out intermittently. 





With the wind mostly at our backs, Frankie was able to paddle all the back without assistance.  As we were approaching the dock, Erwin came down with his book and snapped our picture.  He had gone for a run and also been caught in the rain.  Since Frankie and I were already wearing our suits, we jumped into the river for a quick swim.  I could really get used to all this!

photo by Erwin
photo by Erwin

We weren't cold in the kayaks; the air temperature was mild enough that the motion of paddling kept us plenty warm, even when drenched.  But the river is cold, even in the end of August, and Frankie and I were both shivering as we gathered our gear and ran back up toward the house.  But this rental has another awesome amenity that we took immediate advantage of (after hosing off our feet): a hot tub.  Yasss... that hit the spot, all right.   

MapMyRide tracked this out-and-back paddle at 3.2 miles round trip.  We paddled beyond the island last year, but the water gets very shallow not much further up and then becomes impassible.  I didn't want to make Frankie battle bottoming out in a fast current on top of the wind and the rain, so we skipped that part today.  What a great little adventure we managed to have, despite the torrential downpour!  Also: I've got a really great kid.  

We started and ended this paddle at our vacation rental, but there is easy public access to Lake Everest at two different Wilmington Town Parks.  Bridge Park is adjacent to the Route 86 bridge over the AuSable River, just downstream of our rental, and is a small quiet place that appears to be mostly used for fishing access.  Wilmington Town Beach is upstream a short distance, which would shorten the paddle somewhat, and is a much busier place, with amenities including a sandy beach for swimming, picnic areas, a playground, and restrooms.  Bridge Park would be my choice if I had my own kayak (although the path to the water is a little steeper), but Wilmington Town Beach offers boat rentals, making this little adventure available to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment