December 15, 2021

FLT/NCT Roadwalk, M16: Trumbulls Corner Road to Griffin Road


For part two of this rifle season outing on the Finger Lakes Trail (FLT), I finally made it back to M16.  I parked at the trailhead at the Stevenson Forest Preserve, which I had used as a turnaround point for a hike that started in Robert Treman State Park back in January 2020.  From here I followed the white blazes southwest on Trumbull Corners Road, then turned right and hiked up Rumsey Hill Road.  Just after cresting the hill, the FLT turns south onto Connecticut Hill Road; when Connecticut Hill Road veers off to the southeast, the FLT splits to the right and continues south on Griffin Road.  I followed the twists and turns of Griffin Road until I got to the trailhead where I started a hike into Connecticut Hill Wildlife Management Area back in February 2020.  Having completed the orphaned roadwalk section, I turned back and re-traced my route back to the car.

looking southwest from the Trumbulls Road trailhead
approaching the turn onto Rumsey Hill Road
heading west on Rumsey Hill Road
approaching the turn onto Connecticut Hill Road
heading south on Connecticut Hill Road
approaching Griffin Road (veer right/straight)
heading south on Griffin Road
approaching the Griffin Road trailhead
looking south along the FLT section I hiked in February 2020
heading east on Griffin Road

As I walked back along Griffin Road, a rain squall moved in, and when I got to the sections of Connecticut Hill and Rumsey Hill Roads adjacent to farm fields, the wind was whipping.  Therefore, I didn't take any more pictures, but that wasn't much of a loss, since this was an out-and-back "hike" and a roadwalk at that.  GaiaGPS mapped this out-and-back at 3.9 miles roundtrip with 500 feet of elevation gain.  Even though roadwalks are never my favorite, I was excited about this hike because it was the last section I needed to complete M16.  This means I have now finished map sheets M16 through M24, inclusive, plus O1 and O2. 

No comments:

Post a Comment