October 13, 2021

FLT/NCT: Schuyler Veterans Memorial to Newtown Road

 
I started this hike at the Schuyler County Veterans Memorial along NY Route 228, where I had parked this past spring for an eastbound hike.  Today I would be hiking west on the Finger Lakes Trail (FLT), which carries the North Country National Scenic Trail west all the to Pennsylvania.  Today's route mostly consisted of roadwalks, but since the longest section is a narrow private road, I didn't want to leave it for rifle season.  Hunting is not permitted from public roads, but I'm not sure such protections apply to private roads and didn't want to risk it.  Roadwalks aren't my favorite terrain, of course, but this wasn't bad at all -- dirt roads, not paved, and in some cases no wider than the groomed trails at parks like Beaver Lake, Clark Reservation, Green Lakes, etc.
 
From the Veteran's Memorial, the FLT crosses Route 228 then follows Shady Lane briefly before turning off into the woods.  After crossing another dirt track, the trail dumps out onto the aforementioned private road, which the FLT follows due north for over a mile.  The private road is not even illustrated on the FLT mapping or Google maps, but GaiaGPS maps it and labels it as Misner Road (see map above). 
 
crossing Route 228 onto Shady Lane

The lower part of the private Misner Road is wider, and appears to get regular vehicular use; portions of this section are fairly steep.  Eventually the track narrows considerably and may only be used by ATVs.  This narrower section is more pleasant for walking. 


After a mile or so, fields open up to the right, providing views to the north and east across the valley toward Connecticut Hill.  There is a shooting range on private land immediately west of the trail, but no one was out today.  It turned out this was just the first of a number of recreation sites scattered across the area; other features include a lean-to and designated campsites, a pond, and various other small structures. 





After winding through the camping area, the FLT takes a hard right, turning east at the T-intersection pictured above.  The trail follows Seneca Highlands Road downhill and then turns left onto Carley Road. 


heading east on Seneca Highlands Road
heading north on Carley Road

I hiked north and then west on Carley Road until I got to Steam Mill Road, where the FLT enters the forest.  I had considered turning back here, but I was doing good time-wise and was deeply tempted by the allure of the single track.  I happily decided I had time to make it to the next crossing at Newtown Road, and plunged into the forest.  After traversing a sliver of private land, I entered Texas Hollow State Forest, crossed Catlin Mill Creek, and then climbed up a small hill.  I soon reached Newtown Road, which unfortunately had to be my turnaround point, and I reluctantly turned back to retrace my steps to the car. 


looking north at the Newtown Road crossing



heading back east on Carley Road
wearing orange because it's bow hunting season
southbound on Carley Road
westbound on Seneca Highland, with top of Rogers Hill in right background
 
From here I took a very short detour to the top of Rogers Hill.  In the photo above, there is an FLT blaze on the white pine trunk with an arrow pointing left, indicating that the trail follows the dirt road just past the little booth-like structure.  I continued straight on the gravel road curving to the top of Rogers Hill -- a case of summit fever, I guess.  I would not have cut through a field or private forestland to get up there, but the road went right to the top and was so close.  I just couldn't resist.  I quickly admired the view then returned to the official marked route and followed the private road back down the way I came. 
 

view from the "summit" of Rogers Hill


GaiaGPS tracked this hike at 8.7 miles roundtrip with 1,142 feet elevation gain.  It was a gorgeous day to be outside and I wished I had just another hour (or two or three, haha).  I have orphaned a short section west of Texas Hollow Road from where I had to turn back on a hike last month.  Alas, that was not to be, as Erwin had an appointment this afternoon so I was needed back home for child transport services.  No worries -- I'll be back for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment