October 20, 2021

FLT/NCT: Newtown Road West to Texas Hollow State Forest Property Line

 
Today would be a two-part adventure, with my first stop along Newtown Road where I turned around last week.  This would be a very short hike, but I wanted to fill a gap left between two previous hikes on the Finger Lakes Trail in this area.  I parked at the trailhead and hiked west -- actually mostly north -- until I reached the point where I turned around last month on an eastbound hike from Texas Hollow Road.  This was a distinct spot with a NYSDEC property line, but I had also marked it with a waypoint in GaiaGPS so there could be no confusion.   
 
As shown in the map below, most of this hike is within Texas Hollow State Forest, with just a very short section at the end crossing a corner of private land.  Today's hike is the blue-green track, and the red pin the waypoint where I turned around back in September.  The purple track is from last week.  


still bow season

my turnaround point (photo of the same spot on the September hike)



FLT heading east from Newtown Road
FLT heading west from Newtown Road
GaiaGPS tracked this out-and-back hike at 1.9 miles roundtrip with 215 feet elevation gain.  It was not my original plan to leave this little piece of trail stranded (I'd hoped to hike make it all the way to Newtown Road on the September hike) or to drive to two separate trailheads today, but I made it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment