September 20, 2017

FLT/NCT: Underwood Hill


Although classes started back up a few weeks ago, today was my first opportunity for a solo school day hike.  I prioritized this section of the Finger Lakes Trail (FLT), which carries the North Country National Scenic Trail (NCT), because it is on private land and has a fall hunting closure starting October 1.  I have already hiked the adjacent sections of FLT/NCT on both sides, so didn't want to orphan this chunk.  I parked at the Stone Road access, which I used over the summer when Frankie and I hiked the adjacent section into Hoxie Gorge State Forest.  This time I followed the trail north through farm fields, and then east down Underwood Hill, crossing two roads and two creeks before climbing again to the edge of Baker School House State Forest.  This spot had been my turnaround point on my last school day hike of the spring.  From here I retraced my steps down into the valley and back up Underwood Hill for a total hike of 7.6 miles with over 1,000 feet elevation gain.

It was hot and humid today, and I forgot a sweat rag (a.k.a. a handkerchief).  Mercy!  I can't count the number of time I reached for it and came up empty handed.  I had been hoping that the morning would stay cooler longer, but no such luck.  It is apparently July in September.

When Frankie and I left the house on the way to school, he pointed out there was a high dew point.  I absentmindedly agreed, but didn't think much about it, but maybe I should have.  This hike passes through and along the edges of farm fields, which affords scenic views across the hills and valleys.  However, there is a lot of tall wet grass to wade through.  It was hot, so there was no danger from it, but my pants got wet, and then slowly wicked down into my socks.  Towards the end of the hike, I could feel hot spots on my heels, the only time since the Gothics hike.  If this had been a 14-mile hike like that one, I most certainly would have developed blisters again.  Given that I have worn the boots numerous times since then with no issues, I had decided the problem was they hadn't been adequately broken in, but now I wonder of the excessive heat/moisture is a bigger issue.  Maybe I'll throw a spare pair of socks in the pack next time, since summer is apparently never going away.  Please!  Make it stop!




eastern newt (Notophthalmus viridescens)



trail register
Underwood Hill Road crossing


wood nettle (Laportea canadensis)

County Route 116 crossing





in early June this view was wide open
property line markers at edge of Baker School House State Forest





the access spur to Stone Road is blazed orange

No comments:

Post a Comment