February 18, 2018

Family Hike at Green Lakes


The boys had been planning on taking a walk to hunt Pokémon today.  I haven't installed the Pokémon Go game on my phone because I am not remotely eager for more screen time, but Erwin and Frankie play together on Erwin's phone.  I strongly disapprove if they take it out in a restaurant or similar inappropriate settings, but one aspect of the game involves rewards for distance walked, so it does get them out moving more.  I often tag along on such walks if I'm not at work, because I like walking and we can all hang out together.  These Pokémon walks are often downtown, or to/around campus, so they can visit the "stops" and "gyms" in the game, which tend to be located at landmarks such as sculptures and buildings.  Unfortunately this means there generally isn't much overlap between Pokémon hunting and hiking.  I was pleasantly surprised when Erwin announced he wanted to go somewhere more interesting, and decided on Green Lakes.  Apparently this State Park is crowded enough to attract Pokémon?  No matter to me.  A busy trail is still better than a sidewalk! 

We took the 3-mile loop around both lakes; I have posted about this route before.  The trails were very icy, and some people were wearing traction devices.  However, the lake trails are both very flat, so we managed fine without.  Frankie pretended to ice skate.  They caught a bunch of water type creatures.  It was a fun little outing.



always the path of most resistance - he traversed the entire railing this way

















No comments:

Post a Comment