October 24, 2018

FLT/NCT: Hammond Hill State Forest


For this hike, I continued my exploration westward on the Finger Lakes Trail (FLT), skipping a short roadwalk between here and my last hike that I plan to pick up during hunting season.  The North Country National Scenic Trail (NCT) follows the FLT through Hammond Hill State Forest and beyond; the two trails diverge considerably east of here.  I left the car along Star Stanton Road, at what may be a snowplow turnaround, or perhaps just an old log landing; I doubt plows go that far up the dirt road.  Regardless, it quickly becomes undriveable immediately thereafter, so it was a good place to stop.  The white blazes continue to follow the rocky dirt track west up the hill for about 0.4 miles before a footpath splits off to the south.

It was cold and drizzling, so I donned full rain gear before setting off.  Very shortly I had climbed into the low clouds that were settled over the hills, and would remain there for the entire hike.  I really enjoy hiking in the fog/clouds/mist.  Everything feels somehow both calm and ethereal.  Mystical. 








horsebalm (Collinsonia canadensis)





I used the crossing of Harford-Slaterville Road as my turnaround point.  It is a bigger road than I expected, but I was able to confirm there is enough room for me to park here next time (as long as no one else beats me to it; space is somewhat limited). 

Harford-Slaterford Road crossing, looking west
Harford-Slaterford Road, looking east
always walk through the mud, not around


witch hazel (Hamamelis virginiana)

Roundtrip, this out-and-back hike is 6.0 miles with about 825 feet elevation gain.  I enjoyed myself immensely, despite the cold wetness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment