November 7, 2018

FLT/NCT: Robinson Hollow State Forest


For this hike, I started at what had been my turnaround point on my last Finger Lakes Trail (FLT) hike: the Harford-Slaterville Road crossing.  The narrow roadside spot I had scouted was available and I took it.  Unfortunately someone else was parked on the opposite side of the road with two tires in the road, which concerned me somewhat because it made a narrow pinch point between our cars.  However, since my car had all four tires off the pavement with several feet to spare, I decided not to worry; it is unlikely that traffic is ever very heavy there anyway.  It was very chilly when I set out, but gloriously bright and sunny.  I grew up in central New York, and I like cloudy, overcast weather.  Too many sunny days in a row tends to make me a bit anxious.  The sun... it burns us.  Nevertheless, there is something amazingly cheerful about a bright sunny day after weeks of rain. 




shining firmoss (Huperzia lucidula)
I set out chilly, but warmed up fast.  There is a lot of hill-climbing on this section.  Well, on pretty much all of the FLT I have hiked so far, I guess.  Anyway, my raincoat got stuffed in the pack quick.  I struggled with the knit hat for a while, wanting to wear as much orange as possible, but unfortunately, I was just too hot.  I tired balancing it on top of my head for a while, but that wasn't great either and eventually it got stuffed in the pack, too. 







I continued along, crossing several streams, then climbed up and back down one final hill before reaching my turnaround point for the day at Robinson Hollow Road.  There is a small parking lot here that may be useful for a future hike. 




After that, it was back up that steep hill and then retracing my steps back to my car.  I love how on ridgetops during leaf-off seasons, there are partially screened views across the valleys to the next ridges beyond.  


I was excited to find a living chestnut tree, an uncommon occurrence.  Usually, they are only left as small stump sprouts that then sicken and die, too, but this was a small tree with no signs of blight.  Some natural resistance?  I don't know, but very cool to see nevertheless. 

chestnut (Castanea dentata) leaf with a beech (Fagus grandifolia) leaf for comparison


almost back to Harford-Slaterville Road

Roundtrip, MapMyHike tracked this out-and-back hike at 7.2 miles with approximately 1,440 feet elevation gain.  I knew it felt hilly!  I am loving every bit of the FLT (and North Country National Scenic Trail). 

No comments:

Post a Comment