February 16, 2019

Baxter Mountain


December and January were excruciating for me with insane work deadlines and crazy overtime.  I finally hit my targets and things eased a bit, but I badly needed help de-stressing, a distraction.  What could be better than the mountains?  We have never spent much time in the Adirondacks in the winter.  We spend time outside year-round at home, but truthfully, I have always been a little intimidated by my perception of the heightened dangers of winter in the back country.  However, we've talked about it sort of idly for years, and finally decided to give it a go with a long weekend so Frankie wouldn't miss any school.  Turns out President's Day weekend is a crazy time up there, and everything in Lake Placid was booked, but we were able to secure a cozy little room at the Keene Valley Lodge.  We have stayed here before, and it's a perfect base for adventuring. 

We decided to start small, with known entities.  Erwin and I had climbed Baxter in 2011 with Jason and Susie, carrying Frankie up in a baby carrier.  We knew the trail was short and relatively easy, with terrific views.  Frankie would get to hike a new mountain, and we'd feel secure about what we were getting into.  Plus, the Route 9 trailhead is right around the corner from Keene Valley, so it was super convenient.

headed out









Gentle grades and switchbacks make this an easy hike until the last few pitches at the top.  The snowy woods were gorgeous, peaceful and calm. 



a little worried because his mittens stuck to the ice

We met a few other parties, mostly on their way out.  The only other folks we saw heading up, another parents-and-child threesome, came upon us as Erwin and I struggled on a steep icy section (Frankie had scampered up without the slightest difficulty).  The father in this group lent Erwin his poles, and Erwin got up.  Then they wanted me to try the poles, but I kept slipping.  I gave the poles back in frustration and dug out my big gloves.  With my hands protected, I could touch the ground, and got up on the first try.  Ha!  That's why it was so easy for Frankie: stay low, use hands.  Thanks, kid.  Then we stopped to admire the views from a ledge and let the other family move along.  Frankie was thrilled to find a tiny little snowman.     


photographing Hurricane Mountain fire tower through a gap in the tress




When we got to the first summit clearing, the other family was snacking there, where we had stopped last time we hiked Baxter.  I pushed our little group on, wanting to see the second summit clearing, which has slightly different views, including Keene Valley and more of the Great Range. 







It was spectacularly beautiful up there, with snow in one direction and blue sky in the other.  It was very windy, though, which made it feel very cold.  I added shell pants and a jacket.  Frankie's hands got cold eating a Valentine's cookie from grandpa, so I swapped him into a dry pair of mittens when he had trouble warming up again and that did the trick. 




Eventually it was just too cold and we had to start back down.  Frankie enjoyed the descent immensely, especially the steep icy spots near the top where the butt-sliding was super fast.  Since I had added shell pants, I joined in the sliding in a few places.  Whee!


Frankie went up and down this ice spot about 10 times just for the sheer joy of sliding down




Our first winter hike in the Adirondacks was a huge success!  We're definitely ready for more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment