September 23, 2020

FLT: Paradise Hill Road to Bamberry Road

I started this Finger Lakes Trail (FLT) hike from Paradise Hill Road, which had been my turnaround point on a snowshoe hike in the area back in January.  I hiked eastward on the FLT, crossing several small roads and streams and completing a short roadwalk before turning around at Bamberry Road, where I could see a small parking area or snowplow turnaround that I planned to use as a starting point on my next hike.  It is very satisfying when one hike includes successful scouting for the next.

From Paradise Hill Road, the trail starts off narrow and super charming as it winds through white pines, then crosses the seasonal Wood Road after just a short distance.  

Paradise Hill Road trailhead


Wood Road crossing

After crossing Wood Road the trail climbs up over a ridge, then turns south and follows the contours along the ridge, descending gently at first.  After passing a stone wall, the FLT turns east again, and the descends to Dublin Road at much steeper grades.  I really appreciate the signage in Mariposa State Forest, as I had forgotten about the short roadwalk along Dublin Road, and the information posted alleviated any potential confusion. 


Dublin Road roadwalk

The 0.3 miles along Dublin Road were undeveloped and scenic, with no traffic.  Still, I always have my hackles slightly raised along roads and was relieved to come upon the next off-road section, again clearly marked.  Perhaps due to my heightened sense of alarm, I was a little freaked out upon entering the woods to hear the strange banging sound I'd heard from the road continue, only louder and closer.  The FLT is surrounded on all sides here by Mariposa State Forest, so I knew it wasn't roof work.  Such loud, frequent, stochastic banging... I was so confused.  Eventually I sorted out that it was cones falling from the Norway spruce plantation I was was passing through.  After visually confirming several falling cones making a terrible racket as they landed, my tension faded and I felt downright ridiculous.  I was lucky not have been struck by one, as I imagine that would be quite painful -- I *have* been hit by falling acorns, and that was uncomfortable enough. 


After passing beyond the spruce plantation, the FLT climbs up another ridge, crossing the abandoned Fuller Road near the crest, and shortly past that, the paved Mariposa Road. 

Past Mariposa Road, the trail dips down to cross a small stream via a rickety old foot bridge (see cover image), then climbs slightly and dips down again to Bamberry Road, where a smaller bridge ushers hikers over a ditch to the road. 



Bamberry Road was my turnaround point for this hike, so after looking around a bit and snapping a few pictures, I headed back into the woods.  Get off the road!  The return hike was uneventful.  I was prepared to meet those plummeting spruce cones bravely, but the plantation had fallen silent by the time I came back through again.  Oh, well...

I am signing registers again!

return trip on the Dublin Road roadwalk

MapMyRide tracked this hike at 8.4 miles with 1,345 feet elevation gain.  Good training for a big hike I have planned for the weekend.  Very excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment