October 9, 2016

North Country Trail: Freber Road to Emhoff Road


I had originally hoped to get up to the Adirondacks this weekend to do some leaf peeping -- hiking Blue Mountain this time last year was amazing.  However, the weather forecast was kind of dodgy.  For last minute, long drives, I generally look for more favorable weather conditions, so I decided we'd stay local.  Frankie and I headed out for another section hike on the North Country National Scenic Trail (NCT).  We parked at the trailhead on Freber Road, and hiked south to Emhoff Road and back, hiking the section immediately north of my last hike.  The mileage would have been 4.6 miles out-and-back, but due to some slight backtracking to reclaim a special stick that Frankie accidentally left behind after snacking, totaled 4.9 miles by the time we got back to Freber Road.  The back seat of my car is full of sticks.

I have gotten out on a lot of hikes recently: solo hikes, family hikes, hikes with Erin and our boys, even a hike with just Erwin.  But I haven't taken many hikes lately with just me and my boy, and I was missing that.  We always have so much fun together in the woods!  He talked a lot about school: new lessons, friends, required work, painting, lunch, recess, sharing.  So many stories.  He's not always in the mood to talk about school, and since he spends so much time there, I just love when he opens up and I get to hear about his days and how that little brain ticks.  One-on-one hikes are such a special thing to share with a child. 

Freber Road trailhead









turnaround point at Emhoff Road (also where I started Wednesday's hike)








cows in pasture back on Freber Road

No comments:

Post a Comment