October 19, 2016

North Country Trail: Shackham Road to Bardeen Road


Erwin joined me for another section hike on the North Country National Scenic Trail (NCT) today.  We covered the 4.2 miles between the northern NCT crossing of Shackham Road and the NYSDEC fishing access lot on Bardeen Road, where we spotted the second vehicle.  I had been saving this section for a day with two cars available, because I wasn't entirely certain I could complete it as an out-an-back and make it back in time to pick Frankie up from school.  I think I could swing 8.4 miles in my hike window, but there is no need to risk it.  Plus, this section of the NCT has two particularly scenic features I thought Erwin would enjoy: Shackham Pond and the Fabius view.

The first few miles of the hike roll up and down through Morgan Hill State Forest, then the trail crosses onto private property and descends into the valley.  The fall color was excellent, but the skies were completely overcast, making the light really flat.  None of these pictures capture the splendor that is the woods this time of year.  It was so nice!

I have now hiked most of The Onondaga Trail, and all of the off-road sections.  The Onondaga Trail is the blue-blazed 44-mile segment of the NCT located in central New York.  It is maintained by the Adirondack Mountain Club Onondaga Chapter and the Finger Lakes Trail Conference.  This trail is gorgeous.  It is really special.

first glimpse of Shackham Pond through the trees

what a great spot for a campsite!






Herlihy Road crossing



Rowley Hill Road crossing

















the second of two trail registers on this section of the NCT
coming out onto Keeney Road
looking north up Keeney Road
almost back to the parking lot on Bardeen Road

No comments:

Post a Comment