November 7, 2017

NCT: Nelson Swamp & Roadwalk


I had a lot of errands to run today, and wasn't sure I have time to go hiking.  However, my opportunities for solo hiking typically diminish significantly as the holidays creep closer, giving me that extra motivation to squeeze something in.  After confirming I was not needed in Frankie's classroom this morning, I decided I've have time for a quick hike between errands.  I went to my polling place and voted immediately after dropping Frankie off, then drove out to Nelson Swamp Unique Area and parked at the trailhead on Constine Bridge Road.  This is one of the closest sections of North Country National Scenic Trail (NCT) and follows an old railroad grade, so it is easy to maintain a good pace. 

I repeated the off-road section of trail that Frankie and I hiked back in February of last year, then continued to complete the roadwalk along Hardscrabble Road and Irish Hill Road.  I keep meaning to come back to Nelson Swamp in the spring, because an endangered plant grows here that I would like to see.  However, in all likelihood, it is in a different part of the Unique Area, away from the trail.  I turned back when I reached the edge of Tioghnioga Wildlife Management Area, where the roadwalk ends and the trail enters the woods.  This was my starting point when I hiked that section in March 2016, but I didn't repeat any of it today.  I needed to be heading back to fulfill my obligations, and wildlife management areas seem like especially bad places to hike during hunting season.

I retraced my route, down the long slope of Irish Hill Road, along the field edge, and through the Unique Area.  When I was a quarter mile from the car, I couldn't resist the slight detour, and followed the nature trail spur along a field edge.  This short path leads briefly through some dark hemlocks along the banks of Chittenango Creek, and then returns to the main trail through a thicket of cedars and horsetails.  Roundtrip this (mostly) out-and-back hike totaled 6.0 miles, with about 350 feet elevation gain, which is almost entirely on the roadwalk portion of the trail.  It was a great little outing to keep me going through four more stops on the way home, then swim class and basketball for Frankie after school pickup.  So glad I made it out!   





bridge over Chittenango Creek







the trail follows the edge of the field out to Hardscarbble Road

approaching the turn onto Irish Hill Road


the Tioughnioga Wildlife Management Area trailhead

parking at the Tioughnioga Wildlife Management Area

reentering the offroad section - roadwalk complete
highbush cranberry (Viburnum opulus)




Chittenango Creek



almost back to the trailhead

No comments:

Post a Comment