January 10, 2018

Jones Hill on Snowshoes


After last winter's dearth of snow, I was super excited to finally have enough snow for snowshoeing, and determined to get out and enjoy it.  I was also longing for the peace and solitude found along the North Country National Scenic Trail (NCT) and/or Finger Lakes Trail (FLT).  However, many access points are along rural roads with limited snow removal, and I didn't want to get stuck.  I decided I would hike part of the Onondaga Trail, because it passes right across the top of Tinker Falls.  The Tinker Falls trailhead is along State Route 91, so is reliably accessible.  These trails are the busiest on the entire FLT/NCT network (at least of the parts I've hiked so far), and I did encounter six other hikers, but the guarantee of clear parking made the tradeoff worthwhile.  Plus, I'd never been up Jones Hill in deep snow before, and was excited for the winter views. 

I knew the short spur trail to Tinker Falls would likely be broken out, so I set off bare-booting with the snowshoes attached to my pack. I didn't know if the trail behind the waterfall would be accessible, but figured even if not, it would be worth the short out-and-back to see the frozen falls.  The steps leading up behind the falls were snow-covered with ice under the snow, and very slippery.  I knew they would be easy compared to the scramble up to the brink of the falls, since that area is always seepy even in the driest conditions.  Indeed, someone was climbing the ice there with crampons, harness and ropes, and an ice axe.  Since I have none of that equipment, I simply retraced my steps back to the trailhead and started up the truck trail toward the scenic overlook.  This was broken out, too, as was the spur trailing heading over to the top of the falls.


Tinker Falls


Here, after bare-booting about 0.9 miles, I finally strapped on the snowshoes.  The NCT had a few post holes, but was not fully broken out.  I enjoyed making the trail nice! 


looking back at the trail I broke

After perhaps half a mile, the NCT re-joins the truck trail.  At this point, the trail was well broken, and I could have removed the snowshoes, but I kept them on because I intended the leave the truck trail again soon when the NCT diverged again. 


crazy drifts up on the ridge - it was fun snowshoeing across these
back on unbroken trail
steep drop off to the valley 600+ feet below
approaching the hang glider launch spot
Labrador Pond


I had considered going on to Spruce Pond, but with the trail unbroken, that didn't seem prudent.  I enjoy breaking trail, but it slows me terribly and I am never exactly fast.  However, I was having a great time and was not eager to head back.  Also: I hiked the entire Onondaga Trail in 2016, but part of the trail between Jones Hill and Spruce Pond was recently re-routed, leaving a new gap that I hadn't yet explored.  Of course I was curious to see the new section, so I decided I would hike until the new trail intersected the old trail, and then head back. 

more unbroken trail
looking back at my tracks
looking ahead - such a cool feeling knowing I am alone out here
more of my tracks

The new trail descends into a drainage, where it meets up with the old trail at a small stream crossing.  This is a familiar spot; any hike here with Frankie has included a pause to throw rocks into the stream.  From here the trail continues along the old route to Spruce Pond, but I didn't go further today.   

my turnaround point


trail register almost back to the Jones Hill vista




Although my total mileage was low, with 0.9 miles hiking and 3.4 miles snowshoeing, this was a  great little expedition.  So much fun to get out in the snow!  I will likely make use of the good winter access to hike here again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment