January 24, 2018

Jones Hill, Tinker Falls, Labrador Hollow


My original plan for the day was to park at the Tinker Falls trailhead, and hike the spur trail to the top of Tinker Falls, then pick up the North Country National Scenic Trail (NCT) south toward Shackham Road.  This did not work out, because although it was cold today, and snowing rather hard, yesterday it was 50 degrees and raining buckets, meaning a lot of our lovely snow melted off, raising the creek levels.  I didn't feel comfortable attempting the creek crossing solo in high water conditions with the frigid temperatures.  I scouted upstream a bit, but there isn't much space before hitting private property, and downstream is Tinker Falls with it's 50 foot drop.  No thanks!  So what to do instead?  I decided I would climb Jones Hill as Plan B.

This felt a bit odd, as Jones Hill is a not a Plan B sort of destination - with it's striking views out over Labrador Pond and the glacial valley, it's definitely a Plan A sort of place.  But I was just there two weeks ago, on a lovely bluebird day, and I knew with the conditions today, the views would be limited.  Even so, it was a better choice than going home.  I applied all the lessons from my failed hike last winter at Taylor Valley State Forest: I chose a destination that was plowed, I wore gaiters, I carried snowshoes.  Check, check, check.  But I forgot about the stream crossing.  Damn you, wily winter!  Always getting the best of me.  I will chalk this up as another lesson for next time.

After hiking up and down Jones Hill, I took the short accessible trail to the base of the Tinker Falls to prolong my outing somewhat.  And then, since I still wasn't ready to head home, I drove over to the parking lot for Labrador Hollow and walked the short boardwalk loop.  The Skyline Trail connects the two trailheads, so I could have walked over, but that portion of the trail just runs parallel to the road, so isn't the most scenic.  The Labrador Hollow boardwalk is a short loop, just half a mile, so I don't go often, but it was fun to look down on the pond then look up to the hang glider launch spot a top Jones Hill.  It was another low mileage day at 3.5 miles with all the mini-hikes combined, but it's always good to get out.  And the less favorable conditions meant I only saw two other people compared to the six last time.  

hiking up the truck trail
on the spur trail over to the top of Tinker Falls
looking down on Tinker Falls


I had wanted to follow the trail up those stairs
following the NCT up Jones Hill instead
looking back at the ridge I planned to climb


foggy glasses and snow on my eyelashes
Lycopodium

I didn't need the snowshoes this time



very cold up here in the wind!

hiking the accessible trail to the bottom of Tinker Falls

boardwalk at Labrador Hollow



very cold and windy here, too

No comments:

Post a Comment