May 16, 2018

FLT/NCT: Kennedy State Forest


For this hike, I wanted to continue my exploration of the Finger Lakes Trail (FLT) in Kennedy State Forest, which also carries the North Country National Scenic Trail (NCT).  There was no parking adjacent to where I left off last week, so I parked on Bleck Road this morning and basically hiked two out-and-backs.  First I hiked east until I got to the "four corners" junction of the main branch FLT, the Virgil Mountain Loop, and the Dabes Diversion Loop, then I returned via the same route.  This section of trail starts in a conifer plantation and then crosses the seasonal Cortwright Road before descending steeply through hardwoods to follow a stream meandering through a floodplain forest.




painted trillium (Trillium undulatum)

American fly honeysuckle (Lonicera candensis)
two-leaved toothwort (Cardamine diphylla)

the four corners junction where I turned off onto the Virgil Mountain Loop last week


After pausing briefly to drop an empty water bottle in my car, I continued west across Bleck Road.  The trail drops initially to cross another creek, then veers south for a long cross-slope climb, crossing several old stone walls.  Approaching the crest of the ridge, the trail turns west again and follows a stone wall along the edge of a field.  There is a huge stone pile with views out into the field, and a beautiful campsite at the foxfire lean-to. 



eastern newt (Notophthalmus viridescens)



The camping area is thoughtfully laid-out and well-provisioned, with ample room to set up tents near the lean-to.  There is a picnic table, a fire pit, a healthy stash of firewood, and a side trail marked to a privy a discreet distance away.  The whole area is spotlessly clean.  Maps and information about the multitude of trail loops nearby are posted in the lean-to.  It is obvious this area gets a lot of love... it was so inviting I couldn't resist taking a break to eat my sandwich, even though it was on the early side.  Many thanks to the volunteers who built and maintain this gorgeous spot! 

foxfire lean-to

After leaving the lean-to, I descended the back side of the hill and crossed Babcock Road, within sight of houses in both directions.  The trail passes through a low swampy area, and then begins another steep climb. 




American beech (Fagus grandifolia)
swamp saxifrage (Micranthes pensylvanica)


foamflower (Tiarella cordifolia)
There was even a ratty sign warning hikers of ropes installed ahead to help ascend the steep slopes.  This is certainly the first time I've encountered something like this on the FLT or NCT.  Woo-hoo!  This is going to be fun...



It didn't really turn out to be anything too tricky.  I'm sure if I was here in the winter I would be grateful for the ropes, but the trail was (mostly) dry today and they were superfluous.  After cresting the ridge, the trail turns north and follows a field edge for a while, passing quite close behind a home, where an un-tethered dog rushed at me barking ferociously.  Just doing its job.  All the same, after reaching my turnaround point at Bell/Hillsinger Road, I deviated from the posted trail slightly when I got back near the house, just dropping below the ridge slightly onto an old logging road, then re-joining the main trail once I was safely around the nice doggy.  This rather handily avoided a big patch of blowdown, too.  From there I simply retraced my steps down the steep ropes hill, then back up the hill to foxfire lean-to and down the other side. 

my turnaround point at Bell/Hillsinger Road - I definitely won't be driving this one



The total hike was about 7.5 miles with over 900 feet elevation gain. The forecasted rain never developed and it was another lovely day in the woods.  I have grown so fond of the Finger Lakes Trail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment