September 12, 2018

FLT/NCT: Daisy Hollow Road to Hilsinger Road


On my last hike on the Finger Lakes Trail (FLT) in Kennedy State Forest, I turned around when I reached Hilsinger Road.  It was immediately apparent that this "road" would be impassible in my car, so I knew I'd have to drive up to the crossing further west and hike back.  That's what I did today.  I parked on Daisy Hollow Road, walked north for a half mile road walk, entered the woods and followed the trail east to Hilsinger Road, then retraced my steps the way I came. 

Daisy Hollow Road



We've had a ton of rain lately, and the woods were wet.  It was clear today, but very humid.  I have never seen so many efts on the move.  In the approximately 3 miles of trail between Daisy Hollow Road and Hilsinger Road, I counted 56 red efts.  Insane!  It took a lot of concentration not to step on any.  I did not count on the return hike. 

red eft, a juvenile eastern newt (Notophthalmus viridescens)

I think this might be hen of the woods (Grifola frondosa), but sadly it was full of bugs





smoky spindles (Clavaria fumosa)
Hilsinger Road - definitely not driving down this one
older smoky spindles



New England aster (Symphyotrichum novae-angliae)
Roundtrip, this out-and-back hike totaled 7.1 miles.  I have to check my maps to confirm, but I think I only have one more FLT hike left in Kennedy State Forest.  I might have to come back to explore more of the loop trails though.  It's really nice here!

No comments:

Post a Comment