September 19, 2018

FLT/NCT: Jim Schug Trail & Private Land


This hike continues my ongoing exploration of the Finger Lakes Trail (FLT) and North Country Trail (NCT), and is immediately west of my hike last week in Kennedy State Forest.  I had mistakenly thought the border of state forest lands was further west, but my hike today was entirely on private land, except a short portion at the start that follows a rail trail.  Completing this section early this fall was a priority for me, as there is a hunting closure on part of the private land.  I started my hike today at the trailhead for the Jim Schug Trail on Willow Crossing Road, and hiked east toward Daisy Hollow Road, planning to turn around where I parked last week.

Although a rail trail conversion rather than a towpath, the Jim Schug Trail is definitely reminiscent of the Erie Canal.  It would be fun to bike, but isn't super interesting for hiking. 




After about half a mile, the rail trail crosses Lake Road, and double blazes show where the FLT turns right and continues north up the road. 



After a half mile on the road the FLT turns east and crosses a field, with white blazes posted on fence posts.  This field was quite wet, with standing water in places.  At the far side of the field, the trail crosses a successional area full of goldenrod and asters, then enters the woods and climbs over the forested ridge. 


looking back across the field toward Lake Road
the trail follows an old road at first, climbing steeply, then turns onto single track and uses switchbacks
the woods atop the ridge are open and grassy
Then the trail descends the other side of the ridge and pops out into the edge of a field.  There is a bench here and panoramic views.  I noticed that this would make a lovely spot for lunch, but it was early yet, so after taking some pictures, I moseyed along. 





a very attractive fording spot: just walk across the top of the falls
After this, there were several short stretches of trail that were thick with overgrown vegetation (see photo below).  Being on private land, I didn't want to disrespect the landowners, so just pushed through.  The plants were dripping with water from the remnants of Hurricane Florence.  My feet, which has gotten dampened from the trek across the wet field, were soon soaked by the water running down my legs and wicking down my socks.  Pants would have been a better choice for this hike, as my legs got torn up from the black raspberries and tearthumb.




the trail passes under a big transmission line

this register needs cleaning/replacement -- it contains a dead mouse and bugs eating it

When I was almost to my turnaround point, I reached Rowland Creek.  Although you can't really tell from the above photo, the water was deep and flowing fast.  It has rained all day yesterday, and water levels were high.  I looked around a bit, but finally accepted that impassible for this solo hiker.  The picture below shows how very close I got to my turn around point: Daisy Hollow Road is visible through the trees just beyond Rowland Creek.  This gap will make me crazy -- I will have to come back for it. 



On the hike back, I followed the blue-blazed field view spur.  The view was much like that at the field with the bench, except there was no bench, so after looking around, I headed back to the main trail. 




I hiked back to the bench and sat down to eat my sandwich.  From here, the hike back would be pretty easy, with just one more section of climbing, then down the other side, across the field, back down Lake Road, and the last bit on the rail trail. 


ascending the switchbacks on the last climb
heading down

New England aster (Symphyotrichum novae-angliae) and goldenrod (Solidago rugosa)




Roundtrip, this out-and-back hike totaled 8.6 miles with over 1,400 feet elevation gain.  It was a very nice hike, even if I made a poor wardrobe choice with the shorts.  It has just been so hot and muggy, and with all the rain, I knew there would be no break in humidity today.   I'll be back to grab that 100 feet I missed when I pick up the Willow Crossing roadwalk during hunting season.  Crazy, I know, but I just can't orphan it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment