May 8, 2019

FLT/NCT: Shindagin Hollow State Forest from Ridgeway Road


Continuing my westward exploration of the Finger Lakes Trail (FLT), this would be my last new section of trail partially within Shindagin Hollow State Forest.  On my last hike here, I had turned back at the top of Braley Hill, not at a road crossing.  Today I parked at the trailhead on Ridgeway Road and hiked east until I reached the trail junction on the top of Braley Hill, then re-traced my steps the way I came.  Much of the hike was through private property; only the eastern extent lies within State Forest lands.  I am so grateful to the landowners who so kindly allow these hiking easements.  The trailhead on Ridgeway Road is right off someone's driveway.  What gracious folks!

The trail initially twists through mixed woods, briefly running parallel to the road, then moves away from the tarmac and house, deeper into the forest.  After about six tenths of a mile, I came to a flooded section of trail.  I spent quite a bit of time here, fashioning walking sticks for balance and attempting to shimmy across.  No dice.  I had started back, in a funk of despair about not being able to complete my planned hike, when I found an ATV trail that skirted the water before joining the marked FLT.  It wasn't 100% ethical of me to take the ATV go-around, I suppose, but my two feet are much less of an impact than the typical users (or so I rationalized to myself as I rushed back to the officially-sanctioned trail).



goldthread (Coptis trifolia)
two-leaved toothwort (Cardamine diphylla)
Once across the water, the FLT follows the abandoned route of the old Delaware & Lackawanna Railroad.  There is water on both side of the railroad embankment, but it is overgrown with shrubs, and few views outward are available.  The few breaks in the green tunnel showed low clouds over the nearby hills. 






Double blazes clearly mark where the FLT splits away from the railroad bed.  The trail jogs for a view of the water, part of Willseyville Creek, then crosses some hayfields and White Church Road. 





After entering the woods, the trail climbs, steeply at times.  The FLT is still on private land, and the trail uphill follows logging roads much of the way up.  Upon crossing into State Forest lands, it once again becomes a proper narrow footpath. 

eastern newt (Notophthalmus viridescens)
American fly honeysuckle (Lonicera canadensis)

Too soon I reached my turnaround point, the distinctive intersection atop Braley Hill where I turned back last time.  What a difference a few weeks makes: so much greener now!  And suddenly the clouds lifted and the sky turned blue, making for completely different views on the way back down. 






germander speedwell (Veronica chamaedrys)
White Church Road


pin cherry (Prunus pensylvanica)

common lowbush blueberry (Vaccinium angustifolium)
painted turtle (Chrysemys picta)
white trillium (Trillium grandiflorum)

jack-in-the-pulpit (Arisaema triphyllum)


MapMyRide tracked this out-and-back hike at 5.8 miles roundtrip, with about approximately 875 feet elevation gain.  This entire section of FLT carries the North Country National Scenic Trail (NCT).  These trails are a treasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment