May 5, 2019

NCT: Emhoff Road to Clark Road


For this hike, I parked at the Emhoff Road crossing, and Frankie and I hiked south to Clark Road and back.  This section of the North Country National Scenic Trail (NCT) follows the Link Trail, which takes its name because it connects the Finger Lakes Trail and the Erie Canal Trail.  I had offered Frankie several hikes to choose from and this was his selection for today.  He had hiked the adjacent section to the north in October 2016, and the section to the south into Cazenovia for dinner with Erwin last November.  So this hike filled a gap for him (I had hiked it previously by myself).  It was overcast and I carried our raincoats, but we never needed them.

This part of the Link Trail is a rail trail, located along the old Lehigh Valley Railroad, so it is very flat with somewhat repetitive scenery.  There is a decent amount of foot traffic, especially at the southern end of this section, from dog walkers and joggers out of Cazenovia.  Frankie managed to find many places to throw rocks in the water. 


Bingley Road crossing
 





skunk cabbage (Symplocarpus foetidus) along Chittenango Creek
 





snack time

early meadow rue (Thalictrum diocum)




mayfly


MapMyRide tracked this out-and-back hike as 5.5 miles roundtrip.  It was really nice to get out just me and my boy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment