January 22, 2020

FLT: CR53 to Paradise Hill Road


Since today was a "regular" school day solo hike, and not the extended version I enjoyed last week, and we had a lot of snow that would slow things down, I decided to stay closer to home.  I grabbed the snowshoes, and headed out to Mariposa State Forest, parking along County Route 53 where I left off after completing a Finger Lakes Trail (FLT) roadwalk during hunting season.  This section of the FLT is east of the three trails junction, and is the first off-road section of the FLT I have hiked that does not coincide with the North Country National Scenic Trail (NCT).  The NCT originally brought me to the FLT, but since my favorite NCT sections to date have all been part of the FLT, I will definitely keep exploring the FLT even where the two diverge.

It was cold this morning, single digits as I left the vehicle.  This did not concern me, as I knew I would be breaking trail, and doing a lot of hill climbing at that.  The FLT might not be all uphill, but there are certainly very few flat sections.  Plus, the temperature was forecast to rise into the 20s so I knew it would not stay bitter all day.






As much as as I adore the FLT -- we're talking true love, here, bordering on obsession -- I seriously question the use of white paint for the trail blazes.  I find it harder to see year round, compared to the NCT blue and the oranges and yellows used on some spur trails.  But in the winter?  After a snowfall?  Dang.  I mean, every tree had white on it!  It wasn't too bad at first, when there were faintly visible tracks visible under the fresh snow. 






But it got trickier after the lean-to, past which there were no additional tracks.  The route finding really slowed me down!  I comforted myself with the knowledge that the return trek would be quicker, and easier on the eyes, because I would be able to follow my own tracks back. 






Although I had initially hoped to hike further, my progress was slow, and not just because of the camouflaged blazes.  Breaking trail is hard work!  I think I forget that every year, just how challenging it can be.  Anyway, when I reached Paradise Hill Road just before my predetermined turnaround time, it seemed like as good a landmark as any.  Maps show roadside parking here, so it will be an easy place to return to after the snow melts. 


Paradise Hill Road, looking west
Paradise Hill Road, looking east




New York scalewort (Frullania eboracensis) on yellow birch (Betula alleghaniensis)






MapMyRide tracked this out-and-back at 4.6 miles roundtrip with about 650 feet elevation gain.  Such a gorgeous day!  I am grateful for a chance to enjoy this spectacular snow before it all melts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment