October 16, 2020

FLT: Ridge Road to Otselic River

On this hike, I continued my eastward exploration on the Finger Lakes Trail (FLT), starting on Ridge Road where I turned around last week.  It was pouring rain when I dropped Frankie off at school and drove to the trailhead, and pouring rain as I wriggled into my rain gear and set off down the trail.  Not ideal hiking conditions, but temperatures were mild enough, and I was determined to get out.  I am still working from home due to COVID, and generally staying home the rest of the time.  Most days I get outside for a walk around the neighborhood, but an occasional change of scenery is so very welcome, making hiking adventures more important than ever. 

The trail starts off level for a very short distance, then dips down to cross a creek.  The boards of the primitive bridge were quite slippery due to the rain.  They would be enhanced by some chicken wire or roof shingles for traction. 



After the creek, the trail climbs up a ridge, atop which is a very new lean-to.  This was a surprise, as it isn't yet illustrated on any of the maps, but a welcome surprise, as I needed to adjust layers after climbing that hill, and the lean-to provided me the shelter to do so without a soaking.  The raindrops were very loud on the metal roof, but in a soothing was, and I fleetingly wished I had brought a book.  What a peaceful place on a rainy day! 


But alas, no book, so I continued on my way, enjoying the autumn leaves and the solitude of the forest in the rain.  The trail descends the back side of the ridge, and passes alongside the ruins of an old homestead site, then crosses an old road lined with stone walls. 



Then another short climb to another ridge, where at the higher elevation, the rain formed a foggy mist.   Obscured views of the deep valley began to appear to the left.  The descent to Bucks Brook Road is broken up by a sharp turn to the right followed by a short climb before resuming the steep downward momentum. 



The trail emerges on Bucks Brooks Road right next to a NYSDEC sign, then turns left (east/south) and follows the road out to Route 26.  Bucks Brook Road is scenic and deserted, not a bad roadwalk by any stretch.  The FLT follows Route 26 south, crossing the Otselic River and leaving the highway at a NYSDEC fishing access parking lot.  Route 26 isn't great, as the shoulder isn't very wide and vehicles are traveling fast.  However, traffic is light and it's less than half a mile, passing quickly.  


southbound on Route 26

I popped into the parking lot to check it out, as this would be my starting point on my next FLT hike in the area.  With satisfaction, I noted the trail heading out of the back right corner, then turned around and headed back, pausing to snap a few pictures of the Otselic River. 


looking north on Route 26 at the exit to the parking lot
Otselic River, looking west from the Route 26 bridge

Bucks Brook Road

about to turn back off the road and into the woods

The rain eventually tapered off and I removed my coat and strapped it to my soaking wet pack.  An integrated rain cover will be a requirement for my next backpack.  I signed the trail register, and was surprised to pass a pair of hikers traveling the opposite direction.  I rarely see other people on these remote FLT hikes, especially on wet days like this, but they set out after the rain petered out. 



re-crossing the slippery bridge

MapMyRide tracked this hike at 7.5 miles with about 1,100 feet of elevation gain.  It was definitely a soggy day, but I was pleased with myself for forging ahead with my adventure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment