April 24, 2019

FLT/NCT: Shindagin Hollow Road Out-and-Backs


For this Finger Lakes Trail hike, I parked on Shindagin Hollow Road in Shindagin Hollow State Forest.  It was to be another double out-and-back, as has been a trend lately.  First I followed the white blazes northeast, until I reached the charming lean-to that had been my turnaround point two weeks ago.  Then I re-traced my steps to the car, crossed the road, and continued northwest up some steep slopes, passing an old foundation.  I crossed Braley Hill Road, and kept going until I got to the high point of Braley Hill, then turned back toward my car and the long drive back for school pick up. 

Shindagin Hollow Road trailhead

white trillium (Trillium grandiflorum)
sessile bellwort (Uvularia sessilifolia)
approaching the lean-to
the lean-to has its own outhouse (bring your own paper)
spur trail from the outhouse
view toward the stream from inside the lean-to

there is also a tent site with its own firepit
roundleaf violet (Viola rotundifolia)
Christmas fern (Polystichum acrostichoides)
red trillium (Trillium erectum)
heading west now



old homestead site


Braley Hill Road crossing

Right near what I judged to be the top of Braley Hill, there was a trail junction, where the FLT crosses a red-blazed bike trail.  I decided this would be an easy spot to re-locate for my turnaround point next time, and took photos in both directions.  Then I sat down for a quick snack before heading back, always racing the clock.




a better picture of a Cayuga Trails Club bat trail register

The sky brightened on my hike back, with gorgeous little bits of blue poking through the clouds.  So magnificent! 



back to Shindagin Hollow Road
MapMyRide tracked this hike at 6.1 miles roundtrip, with almost 1,100 feet elevation gain.  Shindagin Hollow is a great spot, and I continue to adore the FLT (and North Country Trail). 

No comments:

Post a Comment