September 11, 2019

FLT/NCT: Ridgeway Road to NY Route 96B


I began this hike on Ridgeway Road, at the same trailhead I used this spring when I finished the last Shindagin Hollow State Forest section of the Finger Lakes Trail (FLT).  This time I hiked west, up and over Eastman Hill and into Danby State Forest, before dropping down Heisy Road into the next valley.  I completed the short roadwalk along NY Route 96B, then took the short section that bumps back into a pipeline right-of-way.  When the trail again comes back out to 96B, I turned back and retraced my steps, as the trail crosses the road here and climbs over the next ridge.  That will be my next exploration down this way. 

the old Eastman Hill Road (on private land)





flat-branched clubmoss (Dendrolycopodium obscurum)

FLT →
Route 96B westbound (northbound?)
FLT leaves Durfee Hill Road and follows gas pipeline ROW


turnaround point on NY Route 96B
Heisey Road (lower part)
Heisey Road (upper part)



MapMyRide tracked this out-and-back hike at 6.6 miles round trip with over 1,200 feet elevation gain.  I was super thrilled to be out for a solo hike.  I don't tend to get very many of these over the summer, but now that school is back in session, the woods are periodically all mine once again.  Hurray!

No comments:

Post a Comment