September 20, 2019

NCT: Forestport to Booneville


This section of North Country Trail (NCT) follows the Black River Canal, so I knew the trail would be very flat and easy.  I also knew, from previously hiking the Erie Canal Trail sections of the NCT, that the towpaths aren't my favorite type of hiking, so when I saw that this section is also open to bikes, I immediately decided to drop a bike.  This would let me cover the miles on foot, but would save me from doing so twice, as I typically go both out and back on solo hikes.  Because I wanted to knock out 10 miles and this is quite a drive from home (plus the extra time required to load the bike on the car), I waited until a day when Frankie had an after school activity.  Then I drove to Boonville, locked my bike up at Erwin Park, then drove to Forestport, and parked at the dam.  I would hike to Booneville, then retrieve my bike and cycle back to my car.  Voila!  It worked like a charm. 

setting out in Forestport along Dutch Hill Road
the turn off onto Canal Road




meadow bottle gentian (Gentiana clausa)


Edmonds Road crossing


Millers Woods Road crossing
Williams Road crossing
Lachausse Road crossing
Hawkinsville Road/County Route 61 crossing



Hayes Road crossing


Moose River Road crossing
Sargent Road crossing
the covered bridge at Erwin Park

looking back at the NCT section I just hiked

my chariot awaits


the Forestport Dam from the parking area
the Black River
The mileage total for the day was 20 miles (10 hiking miles and 10 biking miles).  Only the hiking miles count toward the NCT Hike 100 Challenge.  I was honestly a bit astonished biking back at how far I had walked in three hours!  One foot after the other... it all adds up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment