September 28, 2019

NCT: Shackham Road (South) East to Powerline


I had a short block of free solo time today, which is unusual on a weekend, as I prioritize spending time with Frankie whenever I can.  However, Erwin was taking him to a football game, and football is one of my least favorite sports balls, so I elected not to tag along.  I wanted to be home to see Frankie when they returned, so had only a few hours, a block of time I might ordinarily elect to use for a bike ride, but I have learned that game day traffic and related shenanigans (tailgating, illegal parking, drunken frat boys, etc.) make such rides less enjoyable.  I have some weeks coming up where a solo hike won't be an option for one reason or another, so I decided to squeeze one in today.  I wouldn't have time to drive all the way down to Danby State Forest to continue my explorations there.  But I could certainly get down to Morgan Hill, so that's what I did.

I decided to re-hike a section of the Onondaga Trail, which carries the North Country National Scenic Trail (NCT).  I last hiked here in May 2016, and it is a particularly charming section of trail, well worth revisiting. The trail crosses Shackham Brook and follows a stream up to Hemlock Glen before leaving the water and climbing to the top of Morgan Hill, the high point of Onondaga County.  I parked along Shackham Road, at the southern of the two Onondaga Trail crossings, and headed east.  I told myself I would turn back after 1.5 hours or 3 miles, whichever came first.  It was gorgeous in the forest, with a constant rain of falling leaves.  Hot though, unseasonably so. 

the bridge over Shackham Brook




Hemlock Glen




I got to the powerline in about an hour and 20 minutes, and checked MapMyRide, discovering I had already surpassed the 3.0 mile mark.  Of course, I had no desire to turn back, but I forced myself to do it so I cold rush home to see my sweet boy.  The return trip was even quicker, as most of the climbing was behind me.  

powerline turnaround point
Morgan Hill Road, looking south
Morgan Hill Road, looking north



the trailhead on Shackham Road
MapMyRide tracked this round trip out-and-back at 6.5 miles with about 900 feet elevation gain.  This hike bring my mileage on the NCT to approximately 70 miles in 2019.  It was such a good choice to come out here!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment